Savvy U.Va. grad John Freeman manages social media and online marketing for the Charlottesville Albemarle Convention and Visitor Bureau. Since 2010, and with a minimal budget and staff resources, he has taken the Experience Charlottesville Facebook page from zero to more than 74,000 fans. A year ago, his page was the most engaged destination page in the world, second only to Disney!
How’d he do it? With seven basics. (Watch the video for much more detail and some other great ideas.)
1. Stay relevant with great content. Use “newsjacking.”
2. KISS: the magic of 140. Visitors have the attention span of a goldfish.
3. Show, don’t tell.
4. Have fun and maintain your beginner spirit.
5. Use Facebook ads. Yes, he said that.
6. Facebook’s algorithm loves activity.
7. Did I mention stick with relevant and engaging content?
John acknowledges that because of the awesome imagery and content from our area that his job is easier than others, but these tips can be applied to all kinds of FB pages.
There’s nothing like watching a master at work. Check out how John does his magic at www.facebook.com/charlottesvillevirginia.